TITLE: Business Development Director – West Coast
CLASSIFICATION: Full-time / Non-Exempt
REPORTS TO: Vice President/Managing Partner
EFFECTIVE DATE: February 2020
POSITION SUMMARY (Short summary of the essential purpose of the job)
The Business Development Director is accountable for realizing a comprehensive sales function for service offerings. The Business Development Director is responsible for developing new client business, maintaining existing client accounts, and engaging in activities that generate revenue and results. Meeting revenue goals and other related metrics are critical aspects of this role. The Business Development Director is also responsible for managing, developing, and leading sales conversations and opportunities with prospective and current client organizations within California, specifically the Los Angeles and San Francisco Metro areas and works toward expanding sales by researching and securing new business within other identified target markets.
The Business Development Director works closely with subject matter experts, business development colleagues and Nonprofit HR’s marketing teams to deliver and/or present proposals. This role works in collaboration with business leaders to establish and maintain the firm’s superior customer service and client-centered approach. The incumbent conducts and manages leads in the pipeline to close and works collaboratively with leaders to ensure the stated needs of prospects and clients are designed to meet their stated perceived value. This individual also collaborates with Senior Management and the Marketing team to develop and execute approved marketing/brand/service development strategies and key initiatives to expand and penetrate targeted West Coast markets.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (Duties that occupy a major portion of time and importance in the job)
Sales and Business Development
- Manages and builds B2B leads that focus on HR Consulting, Talent Acquisition, Executive Search, and Knowledge and Training sales with social sector organizations.
- Consistently and actively generates new business with local and regional West Coast nonprofit and social impact organizations by selling solutions and services. Meets weekly with Vice President & Managing Partner and works collaboratively with other leaders on new client prospects and provides outreach status.
- Cultivates new and maintains existing business relationships with appropriate individuals within organizations with the intent of translating business relationships into qualified leads and profitable sales opportunities.
- Accurately tracks client prospects and reports on weekly sales activities; maintains records and documents sales calls and meetings in Salesforce database.
- Collaborates with internal staff to ensure that sales are consistent with service offerings and available pipeline meets or exceeds client demands.
- Achieves and reports on established sales goals and reports on status of goals and measurable outcomes.
- Actively participates in business development meetings and works collaboratively with others on marketing campaigns and related materials designed to attract new clients.
- Drives new client development and relationships through effective cold calling and other appropriate business development activities; tracks and reports on related metrics.
- Establishes and maintains partnerships with for-profit entities whose businesses compliment those of the firm’s services with the intent of translating relationships into profitable sales opportunities.
- Maintains up-to-date awareness of social sector trends, talent management practices, potential clients’ missions and services usage/needs of related organizations.
- Develops, manages, and monitors sales funnel and budget in partnership with the Vice President/Managing Partner to identify opportunities to increase sales revenue.
- Represents firm at appropriate business development/sales events such as exhibits, trade shows, and networking events to showcase the firm’s service offerings.
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE SKILL REQUIRED (Minimum education and experience needed to perform the job adequately)
- A minimum of 5 years of proven professional services sales experience required, plus demonstrated understanding and knowledge of the nonprofit sector with specific insights into and relationships with West Coast organizations.
- Proven ability to establish key relationships quickly that are focused on delivering services that are customer-driven, using a consultative sales approach with the ability to actively listen, ask relevant questions, and recommend solutions to decision makers.
- Proven understanding of a sales pipeline and ability to proactively follow through with prospective clients and demonstrate exceptional persuasion and negotiation techniques, commitment, drive and appetite for winning new business.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively build and maintain relationships, both internally with colleagues and leadership teams, as well as externally with clients and other community leaders.
- Impeccable written and oral communications, presentation and influencing skills and high levels of integrity and work ethics.
- Savvy business and interpersonal skills that includes the ability to be entrepreneurial, self-motivated and sales and client focused. Demonstrated executive presence preferred.
- Exceptional organizational skills to simultaneously use online business tools and deliver business development activity reports that demonstrate transparency in weekly and monthly goals.
- Ability to forecast sales opportunities and have intuitive business strengths to be proactive.
- Must demonstrate a good balance of risk-taking and judgment, confidence and assertiveness, open-mindedness and flexibility.
- Sensitivity to corporate needs and resources, client and employee goodwill, and the firm’s public image.
- Proven proficiency with using CRMs, Salesforce or other similar systems, Office 365 applications, social media tools and Internet-based research.
ADA SPECIFICATIONS (Physical demands that must be met in order to successfully complete the essential functions of the job)
Position requires the ability to travel locally and nationally (up to 50%). Requires the ability to walk, speak, read, and hear. Periodic overnight travel out of town is required. May require ability to lift and roll items of up to 50 lbs. and capable of working remotely.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the individual(s) assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required. Management reserves the right to modify, add, or remove duties and to assign other duties as necessary. In addition, reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
How to apply: Email your resume, and cover letter to Patty Hampton at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use the subject “West Coast BD Director”.
Deadline to apply: July 29, 2020.