The Black Futures Lab works to make Black communities powerful in politics. BFL transforms Black communities into constituencies that build and wield independent, progressive, Black political power. The problems facing Black communities are complex, and their solutions require innovation, experimentation and Black political power. We advance strategies that help us imagine the alternatives we deserve, while building political power at the local, state and national level in order to implement those alternatives.
This position is shared with our sister entity Black to the Future Action Fund, a separate 501(c)4.
To learn more about the Black Futures Lab, please visit www.blackfutureslab.org.
To learn more about the Black to the Future Action Fund, please visit www.black2thefuture.org.
Description of the Position:
Reporting to the Principal, the Deputy Director has both internal and external facing responsibilities, including overseeing the implementation of the programmatic work for both the Black Futures Lab (c3) and Black to the Future Action Fund (c4), co-creating internal policies and procedures to cultivate a healthy and vibrant organizational culture, representing the organization with external partners and stakeholders, and managing programmatic staff. Key components of this role include managing the internal dynamics of the organization with a focus on supporting the staff to achieve the programmatic and political goals of the organization. Other important duties include managing relationships with state and national partners, providing leadership across various projects and supporting organizational fundraising efforts. The Deputy Director is a close partner of the Principal, helping to chart the strategic path of the organization, and helping to ensure impact.
This position can be filled by local or remotely based candidates. The Black Futures Lab is located in Oakland, California, and has a national focus.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Collaborate with the Principal to create and manage the implementation of the strategic mission, vision, and work plan to ensure quantitative and qualitative metrics are met for the c3, c4, and PAC.
- Represent and build the profile of the organization at meetings, convenings, conferences, and events.
- Collaborate with the Principal and the Director of Administration to design and implement policies and procedures that allow for the smooth and effective administration of our programmatic work.
- Collaborate with the Principal to proactively develop, present, and implement new practices and trainings to support a work-culture of growth and advancement.
- Work with the Principal and Finance Director to monitor and manage organizational budget.
- Lead, manage, and oversee processes with the Management Team to develop and implement BFL and B2AF strategies at the national, state, and local level
- Serve as decision maker on participation of national, state and local partners, utilizing pre-planned and agreed-upon criteria to inform decisions.
- Oversee development and implementation of the annual programmatic work plan.
- Provide leadership and direction to the Black Futures Lab and the Black to the Future Action Fund, including identifying innovative models and developing opportunities for replication, coordination and experimentation in other localities.
- Work closely with Leads to develop hard-hitting and effective campaigns with quantitative and qualitative goals.
- Support fundraising efforts by developing content for grant proposals and reports, and participating in funder briefings, meetings, and house parties.
- Work with the Principal to cultivate new relationships and maintain existing relationships with donors, funders, and supporters.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serve in collaboration with and in lieu of the Principal as the primary liaison with national and state partners, and movement allies.
- Stay abreast of relationships with local partners.
- Perform supervisory responsibilities including decisions related to hiring, performance management, promotions, disciplinary actions, and terminations of Lead staff.
- Support an environment of staff engagement by providing consistent and effective feedback, guidance, and opportunities to engage in structured and unstructured professional development.
View full position details and how to apply!