WTOP: 5 ways nonprofits can…
Nonprofit HR was retained by Martha’s Table, supporting the community for nearly 40 years through strong children, strong families, and strong communities by increasing access to quality education programs, healthy food, and family supports, for the search of an engaging and results-oriented Director of Human Resources. We believe that every child deserves the opportunity for their brightest future, and a deeply engaged family and community committed to their success. Learn more about Martha’s Table here.
Enjoy this information video about Martha’s Table!
The Director of Human Resources is a senior leader at Martha’s Table and a member of the Executive Team. The Director of Human Resources is responsible for the executive leadership of the Human Resources Department and reports directly to the Chief Administrative Officer.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
The Director is responsible for the administration, coordination, and evaluation of the Human Resources function of Martha’s Table.
- Manage Human Resources program. Develop annual goals and implement them, including special plans and initiatives to support the development and sustainability of Martha’s Table’s culture, emphasizing our organizational commitment to inclusion and racial equity.
- Ensure organizational compliance with federal and local employment law. Ensure compliance with government entities overseeing childcare centers with regard to employment and human resource documentation.
- Research, develop, and implement org-wide policies and procedures for internal human resource programs, employment policy, and training. Seek input from colleagues from across the organization throughout the process to achieve buy-in and ensure equity.
- Prepare and analyze quarterly reports based on key performance indicators for the Human Resources department. Make recommendations and take action based on data with a commitment to continuous improvement.
- Manage the full cycle recruitment and selection process including job posting, sourcing, interviewing, pre-employment screening, selection and hiring.
- Direct all aspects of new hire orientation and onboarding program including new hire training, employment documentation and compliance, and entry into the human resources information system.
- Collaborate with Executive Team Colleagues on all aspects of employee training and professional development.
- Support the Executive team by maintaining the performance management system, individual performance plans, and retention plans. Ensure that all leaders are trained in the performance management system and that all employees receive regular feedback and annual reviews.
- Manage employee classification process and compensation management systems, ensure accurate job descriptions, performs competitive market wage analysis and administer the salary structure including various aspects of base pay and variable pay.
- Design benefits package for employees, ensuring a high return on investment by selecting plans, partners and ensuring that benefits meet employee needs and reflect our commitment to putting our Martha’s Table family first.
- Lead handling and resolution of all employee relations complaints and issues in accordance with employment law, policy to ensure a positive working environment and mitigate employer liability in consultation with pro bono external legal counsel, as needed.
- Manage employee engagement, recognition and satisfaction efforts, progressive discipline counseling, employee separation process, and off-boarding program.
- Administer all organizational occupational health, safety and security programs including workers’ compensation, OSHA standards training and reporting compliance, disaster preparedness and contingency plans.
- Develop and modify on an ongoing basis the policies, procedures and other guidance documents, including incorporating best practices, and addressing changes in employment law regulations and industry practices.
- Disseminate, implement and enforce organizational and team standards, policies and procedures, including proper guidance to those carrying out managerial duties.
- Collaborate with the management team to ensure all staff policies are protected and implemented effectively and equitably.
- Support MT’s racial equity efforts by consistently reviewing policies and procedures, seeking input on topics from a broad audience, supporting the racial equity steering committee and ensuring that equity conversations move forward and that measurable action is taken.
- Supervises the Human Resources (HR) Manager.
Preferred Experience and Competencies:
- Significant HR experience working in a non-profit setting
- Bachelor’s Degree or other HR certification (SHRM) in Human Resource Management
- Knowledge of Labor Laws, Human Resource regulations and the ability to translate that knowledge into effective practices and procedures.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook).
- Familiarity with Bamboo HR and ADP a huge plus
- Superior organizational skills, including the ability to review, modify, and enhance organizational systems that impact all employees.
- Excellent verbal and written communication.
- Excellent relationship management skills.
- Strong team-building and interpersonal skills with the ability to develop professional relationships with diverse staff, in order to maintain coaching relationships, ongoing informal communications, etc.
- Ability to work independently, prioritize effectively, be pro-active in order to anticipate issues and opportunities and make appropriate judgment calls.
- Business Acumen and the ability to conduct HR work in the best interest of the organization, even when that might not exactly align with the best interest of individuals.
- Ability to critically evaluate situations and mobilize toward action quickly.
- Ability to approach all work with an ethical practice and advise on ethical practice as it relates to HR issues at Martha’s Table.
- Ability to ensure that HR work is approached in a manner that reflects Martha’s Table’s commitment to inclusion and equity and coach managers and employees on these and related topics as the need arises.
- Relationship management skills that allow for positive relationships with employees and managers of all levels within the organization.
How to apply
If you are a dynamic, self-starting professional with the above qualifications and are interested in joining a great organization, we would like to hear from you. Qualified candidates should forward their resume and cover letter to Yvonne Rivera, Director, Talent Acquisition, email@example.com. Please put “Director of Human Resources” in the subject line.
This position requires the completion of a satisfactory background check. Martha’s Table provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.