The American Foundation for Suicide Prevention creates a culture that’s smart about mental health by engaging in funding scientific research, educating the public about mental health and suicide prevention and supporting survivors of suicide loss and those affected by suicide. To learn more about the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention, visit them online. Click here.
The Human Resources Manager, in partnership with the Chief Financial Officer, will enhance and administer human resource policies, goals, objectives, programs and best practices for the organization. This proactive, hands-on, and customer service driven individual will be tasked with evaluating and implementing employee programs, recommending improvements to policies and ensuring that these policies align and are administered in alignment with organizational values. The HR Manager understands the business of the AFSP to assist in the development and evaluation of organizational programs to recommend new approaches and procedures as it relates to talent and culture to effect continual efficiencies that impacts the mission and vision of the organization.
This position is based in New York City
Position Duties and Responsibilities
Policy Development & Communications– Manages various human resources policies and programs; writes HR policies and procedures; maintains employee handbook and policy development including related communications and guidance to all staff around implementation, compliance and best practices. Communicates clearly (verbal and written) with all employees to ensure information is shared and that HR messages are understood.
Compliance – Maintains compliance with federal, multi-state and local laws. Works in partnership with payroll provider and other experts to ensure adherence to applicable regulations including FLSA, FMLA, COBRA, ADA, EEO, OSHA, etc. Maintains records, reports, and logs in accordance with applicable laws.
Employee Relations & Engagement– Effectively handles employee relations and engagement issues and provides appropriate level of coaching and counseling that lead to conflict resolution. Regularly identifies trends in active and terminating employee feedback. Recommends and leads solution-focused and/or improvement conversations with managers and senior leadership on retention matters.
Performance Management– In partnership with managers and senior leadership, manages AFSP’s performance management and compensation programs; monitors performance evaluation programs and process; recommends changes and/or improvements and leads training and related communications and discussions.
Learning & Development– In partnership with managers and senior leadership, the HR Manager is expected to discuss and assess learning and development needs to improve skills and competency gaps throughout AFSP. The HR Manager will partner with training consultants to leverage and design online training and development program and assist in the design to continually effect and develop a learning culture.
Benefits– Manages all benefits programs including cost containment, administration and communications strategy and messaging development and works closely with senior leadership in an accurate and timely manner on benefit issues that impact related budgets.
Recruitment– Works in partnership with hiring managers and/or outside consultants on all recruitment vacancies; writes and places advertisements, and monitors career pathing and other recruiting related programs. Oversees onboarding/offboarding process in coordination with supervisors and senior leadership.
Culture Management Support– Actively participates in staff and leadership meetings and scheduled strategic planning activities where appropriate. Provides thoughtful conversations on culture management issues and concerns that impact the culture of the AFSP and its overall work environment.
HRIS Management– Manages the organization’s HRIS records and compiles reports from database to effectively make decisions and lead related conversations and/or programs.
Performs other related duties as required and assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED
- A bachelor’s degreein HR or related field. PHR or equivalent certification preferred
- 5-7 years’ experience in an HR Generalist/Manager role with at least 3 years managing employee relations, benefits and recruiting
- Demonstrated knowledge and expertise with HR practices and principles; understanding of applicable state and Federal law essential; experience working with a multi-state environment helpful
- Proven ability to make authentic connections with staff, establish trust and maintain confidentiality
- Demonstrates effective use of active listening and questioning skills and displays openness to other people’s ideas and thoughts
- Skilled at balancing complex situations and takes time to think through processes and competing priorities
- Must have highly effective interpersonal and written communication and organizational skills demonstrated by a positive attitude and earnest interest in providing exceptional customer service to both our headquarters and field offices
- Ability to work in a changing/dynamic environment with ease
- Demonstrates an unwavering and unilateral commitment to ethics to help attract top talent while safeguarding AFSP and is capable of fostering a culture and loyalty
- Proficient knowledge of ADP Workforce Now
- Demonstrated skills and experience with Microsoft applications, including Word, Excel and Outlook, and active knowledge of existing and emerging human resource-related tools and applications
How to Apply
Please send resume and your value proposition with salary requirements to:
Nonprofit HR, Yvonne Rivera, Director, Talent Acquisition, email@example.com.
Please include the position title in the subject line.
AFSP is an Equal Opportunity Employer