The Alliance for Safety and Justice, a project of Tides Center and the sister organization of another Tides Center project, Californians for Safety and Justice, as well as Alliance for Safety and Justice Action Fund, a 501(c)4 project of The Advocacy Fund, is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage and seek applications from women, people of color, including bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical conditions.
Founded in 2016, Alliance for Safety and Justice (ASJ), a project of the Tides Center, is a multi-state organization that aims to win new safety priorities in large incarceration states across the country. At a time of immense opportunity, ASJ partners with leaders and advocates to advance state criminal justice reform through policy advocacy, coalition building, research, education, and strategic communications. ASJ also brings together diverse crime survivors and people with past convictions to advance policies that help communities most harmed by crime and violence. ASJ’s sister organization, Californians for Safety and Justice (CSJ), has been leading state advocacy efforts to replace over-incarceration in California with new safety priorities for the last six years. With a substantial California staff and a strong track record, CSJ operates as ASJ’s flagship state advocacy effort. Additionally, Alliance for Safety and Justice Action Fund, a project of Tides Advocacy, is the 501 (c)4 arm of both ASJ and CSJ.
The People Operations Specialist (POS) is a pivotal role within the Human Resources (HR) Department. This position is responsible for supporting and coordinating all processes, programs and initiatives that support effective HR operations and a positive experience across all touchpoints during an employee’s life cycle. The POS will provide essential coordination of the systems, processes, and activities in the following core areas: HR administration, staff support and communications; recruitment, hiring and onboarding; HR systems and department infrastructure support. Reporting to the Director of People Operations, this role is part of the Operations division. This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced, strategic and tactical HR professional who likes to build systems and who is a creative problem solver. The People Operations Specialist will join ASJ during a time of rapid growth as AS becomes a newly independent organization.
HR Administration, Staff Support & Communications (60%)
- Manage the day to day administration of ASJ’s Human Capital Management System (HCMS); troubleshoot and field staff questions; manage HCMS vendor relationship
- Manage the day to day operations of ASJ’s Benefits Administration system in partnership with ASJ’s benefits broker; troubleshoot and field staff questions; manage broker relationship
- Support the annual Open Enrollment process in partnership with the Director of People Operations
- Develop and facilitate accessible staff trainings on the use of HR systems as identified in collaboration with key Operations staff
- Ensure that ASJ’s HR practices are in compliance with federal, state and local laws in partnership with the Legal & Compliance director; monitor proper filing/maintenance of personnel records
- Support the development and maintenance of HR policies and procedures in partnership with the HR Manager, People & Culture
- Spearhead the development and maintenance of an annual HR calendar, identifying key annual benchmarks, organizational events, holidays, etc; ensure communication to staff
- Identify HR communications and updates to staff via the utilization of the monthly newsletter, staff meeting and tools in partnership with key Operations staff
- Organize and monitor HR systems and project management tools; ensure integration and accuracy as identified
- Support the set up, execution and tracking of HR contracts in collaboration with the Director of People Operations and Grants & Contracts staff
- Support the development of HR department meeting agendas
- Serve as the primary point of contact for day to day HR support across the organization; be available for staff 1:1s and manage weekly HR Support Hours; elevate issues/themes to the Director of People Operations as identified
Recruitment, Hiring & Onboarding (40%)
- Collaborate with division heads and hiring managers on planning, creating, posting, interviewing, and filling open roles, including:
- Building a pipeline of top talent through ASJ’s branding initiatives and external sourcing; partner with members of the Communications team accordingly
- Effectively managing the full cycle of roles and candidates, with minimal direction, including coordinating, scheduling, and participating in interviews with candidates and managing the candidate pipeline via the ATS
- Developing and continuously improving hiring and interviewing resources templates (candidate communication templates, interview scripts, offer letter template)
- Driving new hiring strategies, related but not limited to, diversity and inclusion, employee experience and organizational culture
- Tracking and reporting on recruitment KPIs and implementing feedback to improve time to fill and other hiring goals
- Manage, coordinate and develop all activities related to employee orientation and onboarding of new employees in partnership with key Operations staff
- Serve as a positive and welcoming touchpoint and resource for all employees throughout the organization in raising issues, questions and concerns relevant to their employment experience with ASJ; partner with the HR Manager, People & Culture accordingly
- Coordinate the offboarding of employees including conducting exit meetings to ascertain input about an employee’s experience and reasons for leaving ASJ.
- Help administer and support the performance management program and learning and development initiatives in collaboration with the Director of People Operations and HR staff
- Identify and recommend opportunities to enhance the employee experience at each touchpoint in the employee journey with ASJ in collaboration with the Director of People Operations and HR staff
View full details about this opportunity and how to apply!