Democracy North Carolina is a 28-year-old nonprofit organization dedicated to creating a just and equitable government “of, by and for the people.” We have a successful history of expanding access to voting, exposing the influence of money in politics, and effectively bringing the public into the political process. We are now a $3 million, 20+ staff-member operation with extensive subject matter expertise, deep grassroots organizing, strategic communications capacity, and strong financial support. More detailed information can be found at democracync.org
We believe in telling the truth and taking responsibility for our actions. We promote respect for people’s fundamental equality and right to self-determination. We work to cultivate a culture and systems that put racial and social justice at the center because we recognize the impact that race, class, gender, sexual orientation and other cultural factors have on our system of government. As the population of North Carolina grows more diverse, the population of voters should reflect the demographics of the state for fair representation and a strong democracy. Remaining relevant to this rapidly changing population requires Democracy NC to have a racially, culturally and generationally diverse staff and base that reflects the demographic shifts occurring in North Carolina and understands the dynamics of power, equity and justice.
As Democracy North Carolina (DemNC) continues to experience significant growth and build upon its unique strengths, a search is underway for an experienced visionary Executive Leadership Team. DemNC seeks new, experienced leadership to build on its mission of strengthening democratic structures, building power among disenfranchised communities and inspiring confidence in a transformed political process that works for all. DemNC has exclusively retained Nonprofit HR to assist in its recruitment efforts for this dynamic team. The Leadership Team reports to the Board of Directors and is responsible for providing strategic leadership, administration, and management of DemNC. The Leadership Team must have experience creating and maintaining an organizational culture that attracts, motivates, and retains a diverse, talented staff to blend skill sets, meet objectives, and provide efficient program execution. Candidates who possess some combination of the following competencies are encouraged to submit their qualifications. Candidates are also encouraged to apply as a pair, by highlighting the strengths of the proposed team.
Applicants are invited to articulate how they will — individually or as a pair:
- Fulfill the responsibilities outlined below, and
- Bring the needed qualifications/capabilities.
- Strategic leadership, administration, and management of DemNC.
- Build an effective, cohesive staff team and culture with open and intentional dialogue.
- Work collaboratively with the board to lead the continued growth of DemNC.
- Foster relationships between the board, coalition partners, all other organization stakeholders, and local affiliates.
- Be skilled and active spokespersons for DemNC – with the media, policy makers, partners and supporters.
- Facilitate and support public advocacy and mobilization efforts across North Carolina.
- Oversee DemNC’s operating and capital budgets while maintaining fiscal control over expenditures.
- Provide leadership and take an active role in identifying potential and long-term sources of support for operations and capital development.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion & Belonging
Nonprofit HR is committed to fostering and maintaining a work environment where diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) are fully integrated into everything we do for the benefit of our employees and the clients that we serve. To fully realize our goal, we prioritize our understanding of the complexities of DEI within our workforce to inform our approach to talent management. We believe that this guides how we do our work, advise our clients to operationalize DEI and position our content and educational opportunities to help strengthen the talent management capacity of the social impact sector. See the full statement.