WTOP: 5 ways nonprofits can…
Every Mother Counts’ mission is to make pregnancy and childbirth safe, respectful, and equitable for every mother, everywhere. We educate the public about maternal health and invest in community-led programs to improve access to essential maternity care. We engage communities, thought leaders, and partners in efforts to achieve quality, respectful, and equitable maternity care for all.
Reports to: Founder and President
Direct reports: Communications, Storytelling & Digital Marketing Team
Location: New York, NY
Compensation and Benefits
- Annual base pay range: $150,000 – $160,000
- Excellent benefits
Every Mother Counts is seeking a highly skilled, mission-driven Communications & Marketing Managing Director to spearhead the planning, development, and implementation of the organization’s communications and marketing strategy. As EMC’s most senior communications expert, this role may represent the organization with external audiences as a spokesperson. This individual will ensure EMC’s origin story is maintained and that the voice of the Founder is maximized for the appropriate moments/audiences. This is a strategic leadership role overseeing all branding, storytelling, digital content, and social media.
Ideally, this individual has a strong interest in EMC’s mission to ensure equitable access to safe and respectful maternity care and is someone who cares deeply about human rights and equity, and maternal health, globally. We are looking to bring world-class talent as a communications professional, a storyteller, a marketer, and a critical thinker. The candidate must understand and respect EMC’s values and ensure that they are aligned in all messaging.
Every Mother Counts is a human-centric organization committed to human-centric maternal health solutions and is seeking an individual to lead who understands the power of a physical presence. The expectation for this role is to know the Founder, grantee partners, and stakeholders well enough to engage directly with them and learn their voices. This will require spending time in-person in the EMC office or in the field for various meetings and discussions, and when needed to be available to participate in external events and activities as appropriate.
Note: EMC has not yet returned to a full-time workweek in the office for all staff but is anticipating moving toward a hybrid model (2-3 days in office) to be determined with each team/team manager this year.
A Few Key Responsibilities
- Advise and guide via a team-based, collaborative approach to communications, marketing and external relations at EMC.
- Lead and manage the current Communications, Storytelling & Digital Marketing Team of two, ensuring opportunities for growth and professional development, and consider plans to expand as needed.
- Oversee all external and internal communications, including the development of messaging and content for a variety of channels and a diversity of audiences, including our website, blogs, email marketing, newsletters, fundraising appeals, social and traditional media and major campaigns.
- Oversee and collaborate with the Director, Communications, Storytelling & Digital Marketing and the Digital Marketing & Communications Specialist on EMC’s digital communications strategy, while continuously maintaining and improving the quality and diversity of content, monitoring engagement and performance using various analytic tools, and constantly iterating to drive success as measured by growth and actions.
- Ensure consistency across systems to develop and publish compelling content based on our work.
- Drive discovery of the best thinking at EMC and quickly transform these insights into stories that can be used to accelerate our work in fundraising, grant-making, advocacy and programming.
- Field, manage and pitch media and speaking requests, ensuring that high-visibility opportunities and PR plans are in alignment with our organization and Founder’s objectives and positioning, and are consistent with organizational goals.
- Serve as chief spokesperson, leading the development of key messages and facilitating public engagements often on behalf of the Founder and President.
- Increase visibility of EMC’s mission and impact and create stronger connections to the brand and its values.
- Distill and communicate the issues surrounding maternal health and EMC’s perspective on them to strengthen our reputation as a go-to source for advocacy and thought leadership. Help our key stakeholders understand what we do, why we do it, and how they can be involved.
Qualifications and Characteristics
- 10+ years of work experience, ideally a blend of private sector, social impact and/or non-profit.
- Big-picture, growth-minded, strategic thinker with exceptional analytical, written and verbal communication and presentation skills; high attention to detail.
- Significant experience in communications, external affairs, and/or marketing with progressive leadership responsibility and a track record of creating, delivering, and measuring innovative communications strategies.
- Proven success tailoring messages to a variety of audiences, particularly in translating complex subjects to a diverse range of stakeholders.