Nonprofit HR has been retained to conduct Fairtrade America’s open search for Business Development Manager
Title: Business Development Manager
Fairtrade is a global movement for change in the United States. Fairtrade America works directly with companies, consumers and campaigners to secure a better deal for farmers and workers who grow products we love like coffee, cocoa and bananas. We believe change comes from building meaningful partnerships from the farm to the business to you. By working together, we can do more for communities around the world.
This position is responsible for increasing the sales of Fairtrade certified products and developing key relationships in the industry. Position reports to the Chief Operating Officer
Duties & Responsibilities
- Oversee the development and growth of new business engagements with Fairtrade and develop and maintain effective key account relationships with brand partners and retailers
- Ensure the growth of Fairtrade market access through directing and managing business development activities delivered in accordance with the organizational strategy
- Work with counterparts in the global Fairtrade system to develop product categories and distribution strategies
- Provide marketing support to ensure client engagement opportunities for promotion and marketing
- Build awareness and understanding of Fairtrade by educating potential and existing clients of the Fairtrade system through presentations, trade show attendance, public speaking opportunities
- Ensure proper communication flow among Fairtrade system partners to ensure best outcomes
Position may require work on holidays, evenings or weekends mainly around trade shows or events and compensatory time may be offered. There may be travel, potentially Internationally and other duties or responsibilities assigned.
What We’re Looking For
- Sales or Marketing degree or a related Business degree
- 5 years of progressive experience in mid to large consumer packaged goods companies or retail companies that included business development activities and a robust network in this industry
- Demonstrated track record of business/revenue growth and new client capture
- Demonstrated success creating and implementing business development strategies, along with a thorough understanding of commercial markets and direct experience working with consumer product companies
- Demonstrated ability to communicate, present and influence credibly and effectively at all levels of the organization, including external executive and C-level
- Understanding of supply chains
- Project Management experience
- Knowledge of Customer Relations Management databases
- Working knowledge and understanding of certification systems
- Inter-departmental communication (Certification, Communications, Marketing, Finance) to ensure effective & consistent communication throughout departments and to clientele
- Meeting other duties as assigned and mutually-agreed upon goals
- Experience working within commercial sector or broker community is considered an asset
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Results driven approach
- Strong analytical and relationship building skills
- Incorporate use of market research services/tools in the identification of business opportunities
- Experience in developing short-term and long-term business capture plans
- High personal integrity, honesty
- High interpersonal and priority management skills
- Able to work in a team environment
- Spanish is considered an asset
What We Value
- Action – We get the right things done promptly and effectively to deliver services to achieve maximum impact for people and communities.
- Integrity – We nurture and promote fairness and equality in global trade by being open, trustworthy and transparent in our work.
- Respect – We treat everyone with equality, respect and understanding.
- Challenge – We strive to increase the impact of our work, going beyond expectations to set the agenda for rights in trade.
- Optimism – We believe we can make lives better and explore opportunities for working together to make long term improvements.
Salary is commensurate with experience and a strong benefits package is offered.
To apply send salary expectations, resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only suitable candidates will be contacted for an interview. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, or covered veteran status.