Position Title: Accountant
Reports to: Business Manager
About Interaction Institute for Social Change:
Founded in 1992, IISC is a non-profit consulting and training organization with a budget of $3.1 million and 11 full-time staff and 33 affiliate consultants and trainers. IISC is physically based in Boston at the Nonprofit Center although most staff and affiliates work remotely during this time of COVID-19.
The mission of IISC is to build the collaborative capacity in individuals, organizations, and networks working for social justice and racial equity.
IISC innovates at the intersection of equity, networks, and love, with racial equity as our core strategic focus. We believe that racial equity is a critical driver of transformational collaboration in this era. At this point in society, with fascism on our doorstep and white supremacy in our White House, we cannot be neutral about addressing racism. We have the opportunity to do what is right: to fundamentally transform the DNA of this society by doing our part to uproot racism.
IISC understands that the problem we are trying to address is that oppression, racism, political divides, and isolation have created a world that prevents all of us from realizing our full potential and from creating a healthy society that promotes liberation, equity, and collaboration. We work with people and systems to break down these divides and address the symptoms and root causes so that we can realize our vision of living on a healthy planet where people are thriving, valuing their differences, and working together for peace and justice.
As an Accountant at IISC, you will use your skillset to support our financial operations. Under the direction of the Business Manager you will oversee IISC’s finance and accounting procedures including AP/AR, payroll, ensuring compliance and supporting month-end close. You will collaborate with staff across the organization on areas like billing, contracts, and grants management. The ideal candidate for this role has experience working in accounting in a nonprofit context, is an excellent communicator with strong analytical and problem-solving skills and thrives in a highly collaborative work environment.
- Oversee all accounting activities of the organization and ensures compliance with appropriate GAAP standards and regulatory requirements.
- Lead Accounts Receivable process efficiently and ensure reconciliation and data integrity between Salesforce and QuickBooks.
- Lead Accounts Payable, ensuring vendors are paid accurately in accordance with their terms and related expenses are properly recorded.
- Support payroll processes, ensuring the integrity of all time and attendance reports.
- Support reporting of grants and contracts, including compliance with funder requirements.
- Reconcile all applicable general ledger accounts, prepare journal entries, post interest, dividends, gains and unrealized gains and losses, and maintain cash flow forecast.
- Ensure accurate and timely monthly, quarterly and year-end close processes.
- Support the annual audit, including preparation of year-end closing, prepare balance sheet accounts analysis; prepare and post year-end journal entries.
- Maintain compliance calendar to be sure required filings are on time and accurate.
- Ability to understand and follow internal controls that protect the organization against fraud and provide assurances that the accounting records are accurate and complete.
- Provide guidance to non-finance staff on accounting policies and procedures.
- Maintain existing finance systems and perform duties with minimal guidance.
Planning & Analysis
- Partner with the Business Manager and Executive Finance Team to support the annual budget formation process.
- Prepare financial statements and support the development of management reports.
- Deep commitment to IISC’s mission, vision and values.
- 3+ years’ experience in accounting and finance, preferably in a non-profit.
- Demonstrated knowledge of generally accepted accounting practices (GAAP) and audit practices and principles.
- Experience in accounting systems and fund accounting.
- Significant Experience with QuickBooks and/or similar accounting software.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office system, with advanced Excel skills required.
- Knowledge of Salesforce a plus.
- Demonstrated commitment to racial equity and justice.
- Professional and highly ethical.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Ability to take initiative and successfully prioritize.
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and meet deadlines.
- Superior organizational and project management skills with strong attention to detail.
- A constant learner who is interested in being a proactive, positive member of the team.
- Superior interpersonal skills and ability to handle communication openly, tactfully, and effectively.
Benefits: Compensation is competitive, commensurate with experience. IISC is proud to offer a very generous benefits package including:
- 100% paid medical, and dental coverage for individual employees and dependents
- Generous paid time off
- Annual professional development stipend
- Technology stipend
- Flexible work environment
- Community care guidelines to support staff during the pandemic
Salary Range: $50,000 – $60,000.
Hiring Process: Applications will be accepted until the position is full. Start date will be as soon as possible after hiring.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please include the name of the position to which you are applying in the subject line. Resumes without cover letters will not be accepted.