The Mothers Out Front organization has retained Nonprofit HR to conduct the search for their New York State Organizing Manager role.
Mothers Out Front is seeking a talented organizer and staff manager to lead and expand our organization’s work in New York state. As the organizing manager, you will help build diverse and powerful movement of mothers, grandmothers and caregivers advocating for a swift transition away from fossil fuels towards clean and renewable energy.
You will recruit, train, and manage staff working with volunteer-led teams and support and mentor the NY state volunteer leadership team. You will work with and draw leadership from the frontline communities who are experiencing the worst effects of burning fossil fuels — from the dangers and challenges caused by extreme weather patterns to devastating health effects like asthma and other respiratory illnesses — with particular attention to low-income communities and communities of color. You will support the statewide volunteer leadership in developing and implementing community and state-based campaigns, while coordinating with national organizing efforts to make urgently needed progress toward a healthy and livable climate.
Mothers out Front is a virtual organization. Candidates can be based anywhere in New York state and will work from a home office. You will report to the Frontline and Organizing Staff Director. This a full-time position.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Providing strategic support and guidance for the Mothers Out Front statewide leadership team around: statewide campaign development; campaign goal-setting; recruiting and building the statewide movement; facilitating the budget process; refining coaching structure and best practices; ensuring strong communication across the NY membership; and coordinating with national leadership.
- Recruiting, training and managing community organizing staff based across the state. Through one to one check-ins, weekly staff meetings, site visits and ongoing support, you will ensure the organizers are effectively recruiting and building teams; running strategic campaigns, reaching goals; and developing leaders.
- Collaborating closely with Mothers Out Front’s Frontline Organizing Fellows in the state to ensure their work is coordinated most effectively with the statewide leadership and community organizers.
- Providing strategic advice, training and support for the state leadership in developing strategic statewide campaign plans and materials, including ensure the campaigns in alignment with the Mothers Out Front mission to effectively make progress away from fossil fuels. This includes developing a strong understanding of the political landscape in the state.
- Playing a lead role in fundraising initiatives in the state as needed, including supporting NY fundraising events; providing relevant data for the development department; reporting on grant deliverables; identifying and building relationships with philanthropic partners; and working with the community organizers to ensure they reach membership goals in the state.
- Working with the statewide NY leadership team to develop, manage and monitor the statewide budget, ensuring expenses are the best use of resources and within budget.
- Working with the national coaching coordinator to support the development of a member coaching team, supporting member leadership development and training as coaches. Identify opportunities in the state for expansion via coaching support.
- Collaborating with Mothers Out Front organizing staff and volunteers working nationally to develop and implement our campaigns and organizing approach consistently and effectively across states and communities, especially as we grow. Recruit New York members to serve on national teams.
- Support the growth and development of the organization as a whole through mentoring of staff, supporting staff-wide initiatives and building a strong and supportive organization that reflects the values of our movement
What we’re looking for in you:
- At least five years of experience in a grassroots organizing or a campaign setting, including a background in staff management.
- Experience in organizing and movement building with an emphasis on effective leadership development and a co-collaborative style.
- A passion for climate justice issues, including an analysis around climate change.
- A commitment to anti-oppression work. Demonstrated ability to work with people from a variety of ethnic, racial, socioeconomic, religious, education, generational and gender identity backgrounds as well as those with physical disabilities and from the LGBTQ community.
- A strong understanding of campaign development, ideally including experience developing strategic and effective campaigns at the statewide and municipal level.
- An understanding of the political landscape in New York.
- Experienced at active and reflective listening. Excellent verbal and written communication skills with flexible and creative thinking.
- An ability to thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced, campaign-oriented environment.
- An ability to occasionally work evenings and weekends.
- Strong administrative skills, ideally including experience with databases, setting up efficient systems and budget monitoring.
- Experience with fundraising a plus.
Salary and benefits: Mothers Out Front offers a competitive salary and benefits package and salary is commensurate with experience. Benefits include health and dental benefits, a 401(k) plan, flexible spending plan, paid vacation, holidays, sick days and support for remote work set-up. We offer ongoing training opportunities, a fast-paced, dynamic, supportive and collaborative setting and we are proudly women-led!
To apply: Please forward a cover letter and resume to: Yvonne Rivera, Director, Talent Acquisition, email@example.com with NY State Organizing Manager in the subject line. Please include where you heard about the position. Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
About Mothers Out Front: Mothers Out Front builds our power as mothers to ensure a livable climate for all children. We are building a diverse national movement of mothers, grandmothers and caregivers dedicated to convincing elected officials and business leaders to work for a swift, complete and just transition away from fossil fuels to clean and renewable energy. We know that mothers have an important role to play in the climate change movement, and, when it comes to protecting their children, mothers are an unstoppable force for change! Our goal is simple: to enable mothers to take active leadership in climate change work, by providing the structure, training, and tools for them to work together on campaigns in their communities and at the statewide level. We are a volunteer-led, national organization that is growing quickly. Founded in 2013, we have an annual operating budget of $1.8M and 16 staff working in 3 states with plans to expand into new states in 2018. Mothers Out Front is an equal opportunity employer. Women, people of color, members of the LGBTQ community, and members of other historically disenfranchised groups are especially welcome and encouraged to apply.