Director of Human Resources
Location: D.C., San Diego, Tampa
The Director of Human Resources will lead and manage all aspects of human resources for a national organization of 60+ employees. The individual will be a key talent management leader in promoting career development, accountability, communication, and transparency within the organization. The Director of Human Resources must be a visible leader within the organization, skilled at communicating PICO’s identity, purpose and values. This position is responsible for managing all personnel matters in compliance with state and federal law. The ideal candidate will have led an HR team and be able to advise the organization’s senior management on personnel matters and provide guidance for employees.
This is a new position that will help the organization ensure that PICO’s staff have the support, training and systems in place to achieve the organization’s strategic vision.
- Lead and execute human resources strategies that effectively communicate and support PICO’s mission, strategic vision and overall objectives.
- Help develop a team of agile employees who thrive in a rapidly changing and growing organization, and who can adapt to change with flexibility and efficient decision-making
- Drive PICO’s strategy for building and retaining a high-performing team of leaders, and help guide the organization through a new phase of staff growth
- Provide leadership and guidance on employee engagement by overseeing talent acquisition, career development, retention, training, leadership development, compensation, benefits, and performance management
- Function as a strategic business advisor to the executive/senior management of each department regarding organizational and management issues including policy development and implementation
Essential Job Duties:
- Management and staff training
- Lead training and skills-building for supervisors and for all staff; maintain best practices and high standards around accountability, staff support and effective communication.
- Talent acquisition
- Lead hiring processes to recruit high-potential and high-performing staff to join PICO National Network’s team; execute creative and innovative sourcing strategies and techniques to build a diverse pipeline of qualified candidates
- Orientation and onboarding
- Ensure that all new staff are effectively and efficiently brought into the organization with appropriate training, support and mentoring
- Develop, initiate and maintain effective programs for retention and promotion, including regular evaluation of overall compensation and benefits; and an ongoing program of staff communication so that employee needs are identified and addressed proactively
- Internal communications
- Performance management
- Oversee performance management system, including job descriptions, evaluations, staff objectives, and support for supervisors
Other Job Duties
- Play a leadership role in creating a positive, productive and inclusive culture within PICO, prioritizing equity and the empowerment of staff
- Regularly review PICO’s policies, procedures and practices on personnel matters, and make recommendations for improvement
- Lead growth management as PICO continues to add staff and expand
- Ability to demonstrate significant experience leading employee engagement, human resources or organizational development in a complex organizational environment
- Deep knowledge of Federal and multi-state employment law
- Demonstrated experience translating high-level organizational strategies into staff support, retention and accountability
- Extensive background in staff management
- Experience implementing and managing an HRIS and applicant tracking system
- Experience with working with remote employees in multiple states
- Attended anti-racism training
Skills, Characteristics, and Values:
- Cultural competence working with diverse communities (multi-faith, multi-race, multi-generational, etc.) Section T10 Row 2 Seat 1-4
- Able to lead effectively on equity and inclusivity. Commitment to expanding the diversity of PICO’s staff. Strong self-awareness
- Human Resources expertise
- Deep knowledge of compliance and legal requirements for employers; SHRM certification or other relevant professional accreditation preferred
- Excellent judgment in a fast-moving, complex, political campaigns context
- Superb at understanding staff dynamics, needs, and performance management issues
- Superb relational and communications skills
- High emotional intelligence, skilled listener, astute at absorbing organizational needs and priorities from leadership
- Proficient in creating powerful, compelling written and oral communications
- Leadership ability
- Able to communicate a vision for employee engagement at PICO, and effectively execute it; excels at internal organizing and change management
- Self-directed, motivated, and able to execute quickly and independently at a high level
- Able to be effective in an organization whose staff all work remotely in a fast-paced, quick-reaction work environment
- Top-notch project management skills and attention to detail
- Able to work with a high degree of collaboration, flexibility, and good cheer
- Commitment to progressive values
We seek candidates whose strong integrity, humility, and discretion will match our culture.
This is largely a sedentary position that requires the ability to speak, hear, see, and lift small objects up to 10 lbs. May require the ability to travel locally and/or regionally.
Salary and benefits: Full-time, competitive salary including benefits such as 100%-employer-paid premiums for medical, dental, and vision insurance for all staff and their children; 3 week vacation
For consideration, interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume. Your cover letter must address your experience and qualifications being sought. Send materials to: firstname.lastname@example.org ATTN: Director of Human Resources in the subject line. Electronic submissions highly preferred. Interested individuals are encouraged to apply immediately. To obtain further details about this opportunity, contact Yvonne Rivera via email at email@example.com or at (202) 644-7422.
About PICO National Network
PICO National Network is the largest grassroots faith-based community organizing network in the United States. For 40 years, PICO has brought people of faith together to advance racial and economic justice. Through a network of 45 faith-based organizations and 1,200 religious congregations, PICO provides an opportunity for thousands of volunteer leaders to stand up and be heard on the public and corporate decisions that most directly shape their lives.
PICO organizations have successfully changed public policies at the local, state and federal level that have helped families obtain affordable health coverage for themselves and their children, provide their children with a better education, protection for immigrants, reduction in private prisons, sentencing reform, increased minimum wage, earned sick time provisions, protect their homes from foreclosure and secure good jobs. Through an innovative campaign infrastructure that ties together grassroots people-led organizing in more than 200 cities and towns and 20 states with large-scale efforts to change federal policy, PICO is currently leading campaigns to protect healthcare, end mass-incarceration, reduce gun violence, and keep immigrant families together.