Faith in Action (FIA), formerly PICO National Network, is the largest grassroots faith-based community organizing network in the United States. For 40 years FIA has brought people of faith together to advance racial and economic justice. Through a network of 45 faith-based organizations and 1,000 religious congregations, FIA provides vehicles for thousands of volunteer leaders to impact public policy decisions that directly shape their lives.
FIA organizations have successfully changed public policies at the local, state and federal level that have helped families obtain affordable health coverage for themselves and their children, provide their children with a better education, protect their homes from foreclosure and secure good jobs. Through an innovative campaign infrastructure that ties together grassroots people-led organizing in more than 200 cities and towns and 18 states with large-scale efforts to change federal policy, FIA is currently leading campaigns to help with citizenship for 11 million aspiring Americans, end mass-incarceration and ensure no one is excluded from the benefits of health reform.
As FIA’s communications manager, you will develop and promote high-quality strategic communications as a critical element of our network’s efforts to promote social justice.
The national communications manager will report to the managing director for communications, and work with FIA’s outside communications consultants to drive messaging and strategy on FIA’s national policy change campaigns; and provide value-add to federations and allies.
CAMPAIGNS: Lead communications efforts in support of state and national policy campaigns
- Regularly consult with lead organizers from each campaign to develop clear messaging documents as well as plans to reach target audiences and to integrate network-wide messaging and branding into campaigns
- Drive media outreach and press coverage for campaign events and activities in partnership with lead organizers
- Work closely with FIA’s Digital Director and lead organizers to ensure effective online organizing messaging, strategies and tactics in support of campaign goals
INTERNAL COMMUNICATIONS: Strengthen internal communications across the FIA network (with staff, volunteer leaders, clergy)
- Create systems that promote the sharing of relevant information, victories, best practices and other ideas across the FIA network
- Engage FIA clergy and leaders providing timely and useful information and ideas to support their organizing and congregational development efforts.
- Develop high-quality communications collateral
BRAND: Help shape LA RED’s brand and messaging
- Build strong and consistent messaging across all our work that explains who LA RED is and what we do
- Align FIA federations around LA RED’s common messaging and communications strategy, including owning a network style guide and integrated branding.
- Identify new marketing opportunities and develop materials as appropriate to position FIA and faith-based community organizing as vital to social justice.
FEDERATION SUPPORT: Serve as a strategic resource/support to federations
- Provide technical communications assistance to federations such as email development and distribution for digital campaigns, social media support, etc.
- Provide communications best practices to federation leaders and organizers (in partnership with senior staff)
- Advise federation on event planning to help make them as ‘newsworthy’ as possible
- Advise on social media content and add capacity to effectively manage federation social media platforms when needed
- Consult federations on how to develop high-quality communications capacity
View full position details and how to apply!