About Global Ties U.S.
Global Ties U.S. powers individuals, communities, and nations to build trust and advance peace and prosperity through international exchange. Through our Network of citizen ambassadors – the country’s most established and largest – we connect nearly 100 communities across the United States to the world through international exchange. Each year, through the flagship International Visitor Leadership Program and other exchange and public diplomacy programs, our local members welcome thousands of international leaders in civil society, government, and the private sector into their communities, building alliances to tackle our toughest transnational challenges and enriching U.S. communities, both socially and economically.
The Director of Finance and Operations is primarily responsible for managing all of Global Ties U.S.’s finances and operations, including its financial obligations to roughly $14 million in federal awards. The Director will be a strategic thought partner and report to the President & CEO, with significant interaction with the Global Ties U.S. Board. The successful candidate will be a hands-on, participative, and responsive manager and will lead an internal team of four people and four vendors to support the following areas: finance and grant compliance, business planning and budgeting, human resources, administration, technology, and Salesforce management. The Director will play a critical role in partnering with the senior leadership team in strategic decision making and operation, in addition to working with the Global Ties Network members to help increase their capacity. The Director will also coordinate with the senior leadership team not only to educate them regarding finance and accounting procedures but also to ensure the finance function supports program operations. We are seeking someone experienced enough to be a key team member helping Global Ties U.S. grow over the next three years, and someone who is both a strategic thinker and hands-on enough to step in wherever needed within a small team. This is a tremendous opportunity for a finance and operations leader to maximize and strengthen the internal capacity of a well-respected, high-impact organization.
Essential Leadership Functions and Duties
Leadership & Management
- Serve as a key member of the Global Ties U.S. Senior Management Team;
- Liaise with the Board of Directors on all finance and operations activities;
- Direct all aspects of the organization’s finance and operations efforts; serve as a point of communication for the Global Ties U.S. Board when the CEO is unavailable;
- Lead, motivate, and manage a full-time staff of four people responsible for the organization’s finance, grants compliance, and overall operations;
- Represent the organization at events to reinforce Global Ties U.S.‘ brand and also work with members of the Global Ties Network to support them in their finance and operations capacity-building;
- Engage in effective and timely internal communications with staff at all levels throughout the organization;
- Provide training, support, and guidance to ensure that all staff have the knowledge required to comply with financial policies and procedures;
- Create and promote a positive and supportive work environment.
- Serve as the primary point of contact for Global Ties U.S.’s out-sourced accountant and coordinate monthly and year-end closes;
- Analyze and present financial reports accurately and in a timely manner; deliver monthly financial updates, monthly performance analyses and quarterly rolling forecast; collate financial reporting materials for all donor segments; keep senior leadership and Global Ties U.S. Board’s Finance Committee abreast of Global Ties U.S.’s financial status;
- Lead Financial Planning and Analysis across the organization, partnering with the leadership team to develop and implement budgets, plans and operating initiatives;
- Lead management reporting, including KPIs, dashboards, performance trends and performance vs. plan analyses;
- Create analyses, commentary and presentation materials for Board meetings;
- Deliver monthly financial updates, monthly performance analyses and quarterly rolling forecast;
- Coordinate and lead the annual audit process, liaise with external auditors and the finance committee of the board of directors; assess any changes necessary;
- Manage organizational cash flow and forecasting;
- Develop, revise and ensure compliance with policies and procedures for procurement of goods and services;
- Develop, update, and implement business and accounting policies and procedures according to GAAP in close cooperation with the President & CEO, effectively protecting the organizations resources;
- Implement a robust contracts management and financial management/ reporting system; ensure that the contract billing and collection schedule is adhered to and that financial data and cash flow are steady and support operational requirements;
- In close cooperation with the President & CEO, develop, update and implement business and accounting policies and procedures according to GAAP, effectively protecting the organizations resources;
- Effectively communicate and present the critical financial matters to the President & CEO and board of directors;
- Work with senior staff to establish administrative processes related to handling revenue;
- Oversee the Community Partnership Grant system — including award amounts, distribution methods, and compliance — for more than 80 Community-Based Members;
- Support proposal and budget development for Global Ties U.S. awards and oversee compliance processes, including Federal Financial Reports (FFRs).
Human Resources, Technology and Administration
- Serve as the primary point of contact for the outsourced human resources team of Global Ties U.S.;
- Further develop Global Ties U.S.’s human resources and administration, enhancing professional development, compensation and benefits, performance evaluation, training, and recruiting;
- Ensure that recruiting processes are consistent and streamlined and facilitate the hiring of new employees, mindful of the organization’s DEI goals;
- Establish and manage a comprehensive training program to educate employees regarding staff tools, policies, and procedures;
- Coordinate payroll and benefits program, and administer staff benefits program;
- Oversee administrative functions as well as facilities to ensure efficient and consistent operations as the organization scales;
- Oversee customer-relations management platform administration;
- Work closely and transparently with all external partners including third-party vendors and consultants; maintain files on and manage Global Ties U.S. vendors and contractors;
- Develop procedures for procurement and inventory control prior to, on-site and after Global Ties US National and Regional meetings;
- Maintain ongoing relationships with building management and landlord and coordinate space management as needed;
- Oversee relationship with technology vendor and the transfer of files to a cloud-based system.
View full position details and how to apply!