Direct Hire Search Announcement: Mothers Out Front, Virginia Community Organizer
The Mothers Out Front organization has retained Nonprofit HR to conduct the search for their Virginia Community Organizer role.
Mothers Out Front seeks a talented and passionate organizer to join our team and help build a diverse and powerful movement of mothers, grandmothers and caregivers stepping up in big ways to take action on climate change. Since our first volunteer-led teams in the state started in Hampton Roads 2016, we have been growing and our volunteers across Virginia are committed to deepening and expanding this critical movement.
As one of our Virginia community organizers, you will work to build teams of mothers who carry out effective local campaigns that move decision makers to make child-centered climate decisions. You will work with and draw leadership from the frontline communities who are experiencing the worst effects of burning fossil fuels — from the dangers and challenges caused by extreme weather patterns to devastating health effects like asthma and other respiratory illnesses — with particular attention to low-income communities and communities of color.
Mothers out Front is a virtual organization. Candidates will work from a home office and must be based in either the Richmond area, Northern Virginia, or Southwest Virginia. This is a full-time position.
Your responsibilities will include:
• Reaching out to mothers, grandmothers, and caregivers across the region to recruit and build new Mothers Out Front teams.
• Providing strategic advice, training and support for teams around: developing strategic local and statewide campaign plans and materials, setting and helping to meet goals; ensuring the campaigns are in alignment with the Mothers Out Front mission to effectively make progress away from fossil fuels. This includes developing a strong understanding of the political landscape in the state.
• Support members of Mothers Out Front in developing relationships with a diverse mix of allied organizations and community leaders, including environmental and public health groups; social justice organizations; organizations representing communities of color and different ethnic populations; mothers and parent groups; and youth organizations.
• Ensuring key data (including number of people engaged, house parties held, volunteers participating in campaign events, and more) is recorded and tracked in our database, NationBuilder. Recruit and train volunteer data coordinators to ensure all community teams are effectively maximizing the database. Coordinate with national teams to ensure the collection process is streamlined and consistent across states. Ensure VA based community teams are trained on all data entry and reporting procedures.
• Working closely with the volunteer leadership to coordinate events across the region. Recruit and support volunteer house party team members by coaching them around: engaging house party hosts; setting up facilitators; using the current house party kit, materials, and schedule; ensuring information is tracked in the database; and connecting attendees with teams.
• Participating in fundraising initiatives in the state as needed, including working with Mothers Out Front development and membership staff to meet membership goals in the region. Provide relevant data for the development department and, as needed, attend fundraising events.
• Working with the national coaching coordinator to support members taking on coaching roles in the region.
• Recruiting Virginia members to serve on the statewide leadership team and functional teams. Coordinate with other staff and volunteer leaders in the state to organize events at the statewide level, including statewide meetings, trainings, strategy summits, rallies and other statewide events.
What we’re looking for in you:
• At least two years of experience in grassroots organizing with an emphasis on leadership development, ideally in a campaign setting.
• A passion for climate justice issues, including an analysis around climate change.
• A commitment to anti-oppression work. Demonstrated ability to work with people from a variety of ethnic, racial, socioeconomic, religious, education, generational and gender identity backgrounds as well as those with physical disabilities and from the LGBTQ community.
• A passion for developing the leadership of mothers.
• Highly creative and flexibility. An ability to thrive in a dynamic, goal-oriented, fast-paced, campaign-oriented environment.
• An understanding of campaign development, ideally at the statewide and municipal level.
• Experienced at active and reflective listening. Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• An ability to work evenings and weekends and travel across the state.
• Strong administrative skills, ideally including an aptitude for working with databases and setting up administrative systems. Some experience working with database software for fundraising and organizing.
• Experience with fundraising a bonus.
Salary and benefits: Mothers Out Front offers a competitive salary and benefits package and salary is commensurate with experience. Benefits include health and dental benefits, a 401(k) plan, flexible spending plan, paid vacation, holidays, sick days, and support for remote work setup. We offer ongoing training opportunities, a fast-paced, dynamic, supportive, and collaborative setting and we are proudly women-led!
To apply: Please forward a cover letter and resume to: Yvonne Rivera, Director Talent Acquisition, firstname.lastname@example.org with VA Community Organizer in the subject line. Please include where you heard about the position. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
About Mothers Out Front: Mothers Out Front builds our power as mothers to ensure a livable climate for all children. We are building a diverse national movement of mothers, grandmothers and caregivers dedicated to convincing elected officials and business leaders to work for a swift, complete and just transition away from fossil fuels to clean and renewable energy. We know that mothers have an important role to play in the climate change movement, and, when it comes to protecting their children, mothers are an unstoppable force for change! Our goal is simple: to enable mothers to take active leadership in climate change work, by providing the structure, training, and tools for them to work together on campaigns in their communities and at the statewide level. We are a volunteer-led, national organization that is growing quickly. Founded in 2013, we have an annual operating budget of $1.8M and 16 staff working in 3 states with plans to expand into new states in 2018. Mothers Out Front is an equal opportunity employer. Women, people of color, members of the LGBTQ community, and members of other historically disenfranchised groups are especially welcome and encouraged to apply.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin.