This position has been filled.
Location: Washington, DC
We are looking for a Communications Manager that’s self-motivated and can hit the ground running. This role is pivotal in developing high-quality strategic communications that elevate social justice and position PICO as a leader in faith-based organizing community. In support of this goal, you’d directly:
- Lead communications efforts in support of state and national policy campaigns to maximize press coverage and drive media
- Strengthen internal communications across the PICO network that promote sharing of information and engage PICO with staff, volunteer leaders, and clergy.
- Shape PICO’s brand and messaging for consistency and identify opportunities to position PICO as vital to social
- Serve as a strategic resource for federations in helping them create high quality content for media
Successful candidates will have led compelling communication efforts for political campaigns, public relation firms, news media outlets, or other advocacy-based nonprofits. You should also be able to:
- Work at campaign pace without sacrificing quality
- Manage multiple projects concurrently, prioritizing work effectively and delivering on deadlines
- Pitch local and national media
- Build strong relationships with local and national media
- Write great copy under tight deadlines
- Connect with people of diverse perspectives
This position requires some travel and occasional evening and weekend hours. Bilingual communicators encouraged to apply.
PICO provides our employees with a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, disability, life, 401(k), and generous paid time off.
Join the PICO family in advancing social justice and improving the lives of millions.
For consideration, interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume and writing sample. Your cover letter must address your experience and qualifications being sought. Send materials to: firstname.lastname@example.org ATTN: Communications Manager in the subject line. Electronic submissions highly preferred. Interested individuals are encouraged to apply immediately. To obtain further details about this opportunity, contact Yvonne Rivera via email at email@example.com or at (202) 644-7422.
About PICO National Network
PICO National Network is the largest grassroots faith-based community organizing network in the United States. For 40 years, PICO has brought people of faith together to advance racial and economic justice. Through a network of 45 faith-based organizations and 1,200 religious congregations, PICO provides an opportunity for thousands of volunteer leaders to stand up and be heard on the public and corporate decisions that most directly shape their lives.
PICO organizations have successfully changed public policies at the local, state and federal level that have helped families obtain affordable health coverage for themselves and their children, provide their children with a better education, protection for immigrants, reduction in private prisons, sentencing reform, increased minimum wage, earned sick time provisions, protect their homes from foreclosure and secure good jobs. Through an innovative campaign infrastructure that ties together grassroots people-led organizing in more than 200 cities and towns and 20 states with large-scale efforts to change federal policy, PICO is currently leading campaigns to protect healthcare, end mass-incarceration, reduce gun violence, and keep immigrant families together.